Many of us are using Gmail on a daily basis but still unaware of some basic Gmail settings. This is a complete tutorial for the Gmail users who want to change various Gmail settings but are unable to do so because of Gmail advanced features. Have a quick view to different kinds of Gmail settings with us.
Get to the settings page
- Open Gmail app on your Android phones or devices.
- Tap Menu option present at the top left corner.
- Tap General settings for the particular account you want to change.
Note: There are some General settings present that can only be reviewed and changed on a desktop computer.
All the settings mentioned below are applicable to every account you open or you have added to your Gmail app.
- Gmail default action: Decides whether a message is deleted or archived after you have swiped it out.
- Conversation view: All the messages in an email thread are grouped together is this setting is ON.
- Swipe actions: When this setting is on, you can swipe messages to the left or right depending on which action you require to archive or delete the message
- Sender image: When this setting is on, you can select a message using sender’s photo else if this setting is off, touch and hold a message to select it.
- Default reply action: For group messages, choose to reply to everyone involved in the conversation or only to the last sender.
- Auto-fit messages: When this setting is on, large messages get resized fit to the screen making them easier to read.
- Auto-advance: When you’re done writing an email, choose to advance the message to older messages, newer message, or the conversation list.
- Action confirmations: Ask for confirmation prior to some actions like you can ask to confirm deleting messages, archiving messages, or sending messages.
Gmail account settings
For the case you have multiple Gmail accounts, any of the settings you change will only apply to the selected account. In case you have forgotten your account password then try confirming using Gmail account password recovery
- Inbox type: Choose the Inbox type between Default Inbox and Priority Inbox.
- Inbox categories: You can choose your Gmail categories.
- Notifications: Gmail notifications are the best way of mailing using Gmail and here you can choose your notification settings.
- Inbox sound & vibrate: Choose an available sound and vibration settings for your app.
- Signature: Create a Gmail signature that will be automatically shown at the end of your every message.
- Smart Reply: When this setting is on, suggested replies start appearing at the bottom of emails just like hints.
- Sync Gmail: When this setting is on, you’ll get all your pending notifications and new emails automatically. When this setting is off, you have to pull down each time from the top of your inbox to refresh manually.
- Days of mail to sync: Choose the number of days of mail that you want to automatically sync and store on your device for later usage. Any messages that aren’t synced won’t be available offline for use.
- Manage labels: Choose notification and sync settings for different labels separately.
- Download attachments: If this setting is on received attachments are automatically downloaded and are ready to open but if this setting is turned off then you have to manually download the received file.
- Images: When this setting is on, images are shown inside of your messages else if it is off they won’t appear in your messages.